Yogurt in Nutrition Initiative
Yogurt in nutrition: initiative for a balanced diet
A unique partnership…
Yogurt in nutrition: Initiative for a balanced diet is a multi-year scientific collaboration between the American Society for Nutrition and the Danone Institute International.
…to develop and share scientific knowledge on yogurt
The project aims to advance scientific knowledge on the health benefits of yogurt and to disseminate the findings broadly. The mission of the project is to:
- reveal scientific data related to yogurt
- stimulate new research
- identify gaps in our understanding of the health effects of this food category
- share this information with professionals and the public
Yogurt in nutrition: Initiative for a balanced diet partnerships allows the development of many different initiatives:
Call for research proposals “Health benefits associated with yogurt consumption”
Every year the Yogurt in Nutrition Initiative for a balanced diet (YINI) launches a Call for Research Proposals concerning a range of projects, focused on yogurt science. The competition is open to research teams from public research organizations or researchers at universities or hospitals. A grant of $30,000 (thirty thousand dollars) is available to support one application.
In 2016, YINI received 16 applications from 9 different countries. The winner of the YINI Grant 2016 was Dr Paula Smith-Brown (University Queensland, Australia), with the research project entitled: “The association between yogurt as a complementary food for infants and growth, body composition and faecal microbiota development.”
In 2015, YINI received and analyzed 19 applications from 16 different countries and decided to support the research project of Dr. Vicky Drapeau (Laval University, Canada). He research project was “the association between yogurt consumption, body weight and metabolic profile as a function of susceptibility to obesity in children and adolescents”.
> To learn more about the grant and the previous laureates
Conferences and global summits on the health effects of yogurt
Different symposia or summits are organized under the initiative of the YINI :
- The first Global Summit on the Health Effects of Yogurt was organized during the Experimental Biology congress 2013, in Boston, gathering more than 200 attendees and 20 speakers (video presentations are available online). It was followed by a new edition in 2014 and the two proceedings are published and available.
- The 3rd Global Summit on the Health Effects of Yogurt organized during the Experimental Biology Congress 2015, in Boston, in March 2015.
- The 4th Global Summit of the Health Effects of Yogurt, organized on the 6th April 2016, during the Experimental Biology Congress, in San Diego.
- The 5th Global Summit on the Health Effects of Yogurt, to be held on the 18th October 2017, during the International Congress of Nutrition, in Buenos Aires.
- Besides those Global Summit, YINI organized several conferences or symposia.
- You will find plenty of content such as infographics, videos, reviews, publications, slideshows, blog posts, symposium reports, interviews and much more…
- Every week, a fresh basket of content produced by YINI appears on the homepage, free for the picking.
- You will find detailed information and advices including unconventional how-tos, interviews, easy tips and even some classic recipe favorites, highlighted by bloggers and experts.
The Yogurt in Nutrition Initiative for a Balanced Diet is also active on: