Danone Institute: food, nutrition for health
Danone Institute : food, and nutrition for Health
The Danone Institute International gathers a network of 15 Danone Institutes (14 local Institutes and 1 International) around the World. The Danone Institutes are present in 16 countries and gather around 200 experts around the World (nutritionists, pediatricians, gastroenterologists, scientists, sociologists…). All Danone Institutes are non-profit organizations, dedicated to non-commercial activities.
The Danone Institute International, with the support of its global network, undertake specific activities in the field of nutrition research, education and training.
The main activities in the fields of food and nutrition for health
The Danone International Prize for Alimentation (DIPA)
Danone Institute International opens a new prize for Alimentation to reward mid-career scientists for pioneering research. Called the Danone International Prize for Alimentation (DIPA), the award replaces the long-standing Danone International Prize for Nutrition. The DIPA will awarded every two years, by the Danone Institute International and the French Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale (FRM).
In a far-reaching initiative to achieve ground-breaking benefits to public health, this 100,000 Euro prize is being opened to mid-career researchers in the field.
The 2018 Call for application is open until 15 September 2017.
Learn more about the Prize
The Danone International Prize for Nutrition
Previously to the DIPA and initiated by Danone in 1997, with the support of the French Medical Research Foundation, the Danone International Prize for Nutrition is part of one of the initiatives undertaken by the Danone Institute International to support the research in nutrition.
The Prize has been awarded every two years since 1997 to a scientist conducting outstanding studies in human nutrition. The candidate selection procedure, based on that used for the Nobel Prize, is rigorous, objective and transparent.
Learn more about the previous laureates of the Danone International Prize for Nutrition
Nutrition education and training
- The Danone Institute International has supported the development and evaluation of several education programs (local Danone Institutes, Corporate Social Responsibility, Danone Communities initiatives).
- The Danone Institute International has been for some editions, the unique partner of the Danone Nations Cup, for nutrition education. To overcome language and cultural differences among children of 32 nations, focus was made on taste education, mealtime conviviality and basic nutrition… The nutrition education tools developped for the initiative are available for download and free use on the site.
- The Danone Institute International has also developed a guide for project leaders for the successful construction of health and nutrition programs for children. This tool uses a step-by-step methodology and draws on rich examples from the existing Danone Institutes health and nutrition programs.
- The Danone Institute International is one of the partners of the Leadership Program for French Speaking African Nutritionists, with the European Food & Nutrition Program and the African University of the United Nations
Yogurt in Nutrition: Initiative for a Balanced Diet
This working group is long term scientific collaboration between the American Society for Nutrition, the International Osteoporosis Foundation and the Danone Institute International, gathering about 20 scientific experts around the World.
Its mission is to advance scientific knowledge on the health benefits of yogurt and disseminate the findings broadly, through 3 objectives:
- Promote scientific research on the health benefits of yogurt
- Disseminate knowledge on health benefits of yogurt
- Identify and review existing science on health benefits of yogurt
The Danone Institute International organization
The DII President
- Olivier GOULET, MD, PhD, Necker- Sick Children Hospital, Paris, France – DI France
The DII members
- Anna Maria CASTELLAZZI, Immunity & Nutrition Interfaculties Center, Pavia University – DI Italy
- Abdelfettah DEROUICHE, Research Unit Human Nutrition University Hassan Casablanca Morocco – DI Morocco
- Mauro FISBERG, MD, PhD, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brasil
- David GRAHAM, Danone Category Marketing Director, Dairy Division
- Magali JACOBS, Institut Paul Lambin, Belgium – DI Belgium
- Frans KOK, PhD, Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, the Netherland
- Denis LE SQUER, Fondation pour la Recherche Medicale, France
- Widjaja LUKITO MD, PhD, SEAMEO Regional Centre for Food and Nutrition, University of Indonesia – DI Indonesia
- Leslie A. LYTLE, PhD, R.D., School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, USA – DI USA
- Luis MORENO, MD, PhD, Public Health, University of Zaragoza, Spain – DI Spain
- Teiji NAKAMURA, PhD, Kanagawa University of Human Services, Japan – DI Japan
- Jean Philippe PARE, Danone Executive Vice President R&D and Quality
- Sandrine PIREDDA, Danone Global Health Affairs Director
- Ana PIRES, Danone Institute International General Representative
- Andrew PRENTICE, PhD, MRC International Nutrition Group, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK
- Nathalie ROLF-PEDERSEN, Danone Institute International Scientific Coordinator & Danone Category Heath Affairs
- Laurent SACCHI, Danone Executive Vice President & Company Secretary
- Angelo TREMBLAY, PhD, Department of Kinesiology, Laval University, Quebec, Canada – DI Canada
- Armando TOVAR, PhD, National Institute of Medical Science and Nutrition “Salvador Zubirán” – DI Mexico
- Ricardo UAUY, MD, PhD, Institute of Nutrition & Food Technology, University of Chile / London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK – DI Conosur
- Yuexin YANG, PhD, National Institute of of Nutrition and Food Safety, China – DI China